Friday, May 21, 2010

Life is a Masquerade

Nearly a week a go I darkened the door of the Melody Ballroom for a Masquerade Ball. My mask was gorgeous: black and silver with sparkles. But it wasn't until today that I realized that the mask I had was just another one in addition to the masks and layers I've added to my life since I was younger.

Sad? Mask it with a smile.
Depressed? Psh! Pretend like I'm happy.
Disappointed? "It's perfect!"

Each of us have been programmed by society, families,or friends to put on masks which cover up all traces of emotion. We've become like the computers we are so accustomed too. Except we are not the owners. Society and the culture we live in owns who we are and they download beliefs, morals, expectations, and restrictions. Even our so called individuality is programmed into us.

We've become a generation of stone walls that are fractured on the inside. A stoic people afraid to break out of what society and culture deems "right". I'm no longer allowed to be a Christian who believes that things are wrong. That would make me a close minded conservative who doesn't think logically.

Well, I'm saying WRONG. Computers eventually break down with excessive use. Walls with interior fractures crumble. And my fate will not be that of a computer or wall.

If one person actually got the guts to take of the masks and layers then maybe others would have the courage to do the same. Because you see, the masks will one day remove themselves when we may be unprepared. And the layers just make us like onions... and onions smell and make people cry.

So don't be a

computer.
wall.
mask.
layer.

Just be (the complete, social pressures removed, sometimes absurd, perhaps strange) you.

Oh, and at Masquerade balls, you dance. And in life, dancing without the masks is so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment