Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The DMV Needs Me

I am convinced that the DMV needs me. They don’t need me to take my driver’s test, get my tags, or take a really gross looking picture. They need me to restructure the way they operate. Allow me to explain the reason for my exasperation. I arrived at the DMV at 2:45pm to take the knowledge portion of my driving test. I waited in a line for 5-10 minutes and was given a number. I then sat and waited for about twenty minutes. The only thing that made this wait half way acceptable was that I had my headphones and music on my phone and there was an admirable creature of the opposite gender who was about to take get picture ID.

After the half way decent wait my number was called and I was to stand in yet another line to be then helped by someone who could do something other than give me paperwork and a number. I waited in this line for about 20 minutes and although I still had my music, the lovely view had already left. So upon a quick math conclusion, I am concluding that the wait became a quarter decent wait. I should add that there were many “line passes” given to other people throughout this entire ordeal.

Finally, my number was called. Luckily, the gentleman who helped me was humorous and I freely told him that the fee was ridiculous. He just smiled. Yay for great customer service! I paid the fee and was told to put my form in the yellow box over by testing. I was so close! I quickly shoved the slip into the box. And would you like to guess what happened next? I waited. This time my wait was for about 10 minutes. I had no music, no attractive men, and worker’s passing me up. A new calculation shows that my acceptance for this other wait was at about -3499319483. I admit, I even tapped my nails on the desk in order to get someone’s attention. It worked! At least I think it did. It was either that or the employees sensed some extremely negative emotions flying around.

Anyways, the lady grabbed my paper from the box and tried to say my name. She butchered it. And I repeated it back correctly. She then looked at my paper like it wasn’t mine and I assured her that it was. She had the nerve to start arguing with me over it. I peered over the counter and said “Yeah, that is mine!” She said, “So the t is silent?” My many trips to starbucks have made me slightly impatient about the pronunciation of my name, yet I complied.

Finally, I took the test, passed, took a terrible looking photo, but managed to get happy enough to kid around with two of the workers.

A few hours later I am sitting around still recovering from this experiment and considering how even though the DMV needs me, I never want to step a foot into that place again!

5 comments:

  1. Got here from craigslist. I tried, really, to not be too snarky here, but it was hard...

    So by my estimation, you spend a little over an hour at the DMV waiting to take your test. And somehow you feel this is unreasonable. (Hint- it's not.) It sounds like your "many trips to starbucks have made (you) slightly impatient," period. Maybe you should switch to decaf.

    So how would you solve this outrageous wait time? How would _you_ "restructure the way they operate," so poor, over-caffeinated writers and students don't have to waste a _full_hour_ at the DMV? When you have something worth writing about, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for stopping by. Secondly, thanks for the comment. But I would suggest reading more than one post to get the spirit of the blog and to perhaps understand the personality of the blogger.

    The majority of my rant posts are in complete sarcasm. I apologize if you don't understand my sense of humor... you are missing out! Thirdly, I apologize if I seemed to be complaining too much, but it was jokingly.

    Lastly, I've been getting a tazo tea at starbucks so hopefully this will cure my extreme caffeine addiction (that was sarcasm by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate that too. If people took the time to organize the system we use everything would go much faster. It's crazy down here in Dallas. We miss you here though lol. Your sense of humor made everything a little bit more tollerable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Mass. a one hour wait would be deemed
    " A MIRACLE" People there, leave work(unpaid break) & wait 3+ hours to get their pictures taken.Here,In in N.H. I go @ 0830hrs( office just opened)& have waited 2 hours along w/ other early birds all trying to " BEAT THE RUSH"On a blizzard dayI went( expected nooneto bethere on a stormy day.I waited 4 hours that day
    Reality: there is no way to "BEAT THE RUSH"
    just plan on making a morning or afternoon of it the next time.;>)!!!!!!!!!!!!
    granA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I remember it was the same type of thing there! And I'm sure you are all managing well.

    Gran,
    It more around two hours now that I think about it. But that's half the time of your 4 hour wait. It is crazy! But I got what I needed to do accomplished so I was happy at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete