Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oregon Students of Color Coalition Conference

So I am at OSCC Conference in Eugene (GO DUCKS). This conference has been amazing! The workshops have been enlightening and inspiring. I went to one about the Student Alliance Project. This workshop talked about using poetry, spoken word, and rap as an outlet for youth. We wrote a poem during the workshop using the prompt "I am from". It was meant to be something very personal. This was the outcome.

I am from Auschwitz and Heil Hitlers:
the strength it took to run away.
I am from the girl in the skirt.
The girl you can't flirt with because
she's too much of a ___ word my mom
said not to say. I am.
From laughing to crying to being too
emotional to not enough. I am
the Christian girl with roots deep
in the Hebrew language; so deep
that I have to start at Hebrew 101:
Aleph, Bet, Gimel, Dalet. Hay. Hey,
to friends that don't quite get the ambition
controlling me. I am from being ambitious
enough for success, but not relationships.
I am from breaking stereotypes about big
noses and matching pocket books. I am
from siblings that make me laugh and a life
that makes me cry. I am from a clock,
ticking too quickly.

Slow. Down. I have not had the chance
to say, I am from:

Travel.
Love stronger than the hard place.
From making the impact
you won't forget.

Slow. Down. I am from
running so quick to get it all done,
never feeling like it's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment