Friday, January 20, 2012

Pen

This is just something I've been attempting to write all week. It needs to be edited, massively. But I'm posting it in it's entirety because it took me so long to get it on the page.

Pen, you were never meant to limit
what I want to say. Once upon a time
you were used to speak without restraint,
the voice I never had the strength to release,
Released me to deny these fairytale stories
about a prince so charming that he cannot
see that I have already slain the dragon.

Pen, you used to be my liberty
from loneliness. But somehow I have
become alone with you in my hand
and I cannot seem to write out my
own happily ever after that is nothing
like all the others. Somehow I am stuck
in this socialized cycle of wanting this cliché
image of dreams coming true.

Pen, assist me in this endeavor to be honest,
not in the way I have been in the past. Reality
is relative and right now it is related to the fact
that I cannot seem to look away from the eye
contact this not so prince charming and I have made.

I used to pretend to be heartless
and it made me
honest about every other’s fault.

Pen, teach me that to be authentic
means putting you down to rest
and the rest is said with vocality not with
these scribbles of the truth of my core. But I am most
me with you in hand, so I’ll put you in my pocket
just in case I need the extra strength when I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment