Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Impasse


I think about you most when I'm trying
the hardest not to. You might as well
be that one song stuck on repeat that
plays in my car while I take
drives up Cooper Mountain, just to watch
the sun set like it does every night.


The sun sets every night while I'm trying
hard not to think about you but this turns
out to be a difficult thing to do. So I turn
pages of Picoult novels, sitting at the top 
of Cooper Mountain, pretending to be
in another world but even then,
the supporting characters
sustain this impasse. 


You are a roadblock to my normal escape
route. I welcomed you into my life,
and occasionally my mind,
but certainly not my heart. 


We all like beginnings, but I fear the part
where things end, dead ends; 
most likely with smoke and fire and the ringing
of car alarms from a crash when a corner was 
cut too close. You'll be alright, because you spend 
your nights sleeping, while I'm driving up 
Cooper Mountain
thinking, thinking, thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment