Saturday, June 12, 2010

SALT 2010



Over the past week I went to Tioga, LA and worked at a Christian kids camp as a SALT (Student Action Leadership Team) member. If I could sum up what I've learned over the week I would say I learned about selfishness and selflessness.

To be selfless is something that has become obsolete in our society and in western culture. A constant push to look out for "self" is rampant amongst my generation. Self gratification is apparent in the epidemic of shallow friendships, rude people, and free sex. Media is our professor.

And what I have begun to realize is that even the most religious person can be the most selfish. Individuals go to church to feel safe and welcomed. But is that what this relationship with God is all about?

No... that's the simple answer.

The more complex answer is something like this: when God gives you a blessing He not only wants, but expects you to share it with someone else. I am remembering the scripture that says "To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

Selflessness is one of those amazing win/win situations because there is something amazing that happens to yourself when you freely give.

This post isn't poetic or wise. It just is. And for some reason, that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment